‘The Merchant of Venice’ by William Shakespeare
The Merchant of Venice is a funny play that deals with serious issues - in particular the keeping of promises. Wealthy Antonio borrows money from Shylock, and both are so confident about his paying it back that they jokingly adopt a ridiculous agreement: that Antonio will give Shylock a pound of his flesh should he default. Then events conspire against him so that he cannot repay the loan. Meanwhile Bassanio risks everything in the hope of winning the hand of Portia in marriage. Admittedly he succeeds - but when she gives him a ring to keep, and he is compelled to give it away, what future for their domestic bliss?
Shakespeare’s great courtroom drama is by turns gripping, funny, romantic and thought-provoking. International award-winning Illyria promise a production to keep you on the edge of your seat!
Below are answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the whole Open-Air Theatre Season:
- Ticket holders enjoy free access to the gardens two hours before 7pm performances and one hour before earlier performances.
- All performances last approx 2 hours with a 20 mins interval
- High quality refreshments and drinks are available at most venues.
- All venues invite you to bring low back seating, blankets, and picnics if desired.
- An area for people on blankets is reserved at the front.
- Well behaved dogs are welcome at most venues.
- The following may be useful: A torch, insect repellent, an umbrella (or sunshade!)
- Performances continue regardless of the weather. Be prepared!
- Some venues have indoor alternatives in case of very bad weather (The Vicarage Garden Torrington , Blackberry Farm Milton Damerel and Manor Green Lynmouth)
- Most venues have level access, adjacent parking and toilet facilities suitable for disabled people.
- For specific access information please call the box office on 01805 624624 or the individual venue via their website.
- RHS Garden Rosemoor: Assistance dogs only. Rosemoor’s Garden Kitchen restaurant is open for afternoon teas and dinner – booking advisable: Table reservations – 01805 626821 (Cash bar from 6:30pm for music events in the Garden Room.)