'Human Cargo' with Matthew Crampton & Jeff Warner
Call 01805 625925 to reserve a table.
HUMAN CARGO is an epic night of story and song, featuring two masters of the craft. Storyteller and singer Matthew Crampton’s recent show The Transports won Five Stars from The Guardian. Now he returns with a new adaptation of his acclaimed book Human Cargo: Stories & Songs of Emigration, Slavery and Transportation. An inspired collaboration unites Matthew with American traditional music legend Jeff Warner. Together, they cast fresh light on human migration, giving voice to those actually aboard the slave ships and emigrant boats and, crucially, framing today’s heated issue with history and humanity. Each performance also features stories researched locally, as part of the Parallel Lives project. Expect a rich and entertaining evening.
MATTHEW CRAMPTON’s recent success with The Transports has highlighted his emergence as a foremost storyteller and singer within the folk scene
JEFF WARNER is one of America’s leading interpreters of traditional music. Born to an eminent family of folksong collectors, his pedigree is matched by his remarkable ability to connect 21st century audiences with the everyday lives of people from past centuries.
“The best folk singer in America.” Bob Bossin, founder of Canada’s String Band
- “An elegant, vital insight into human suffering and survival” Cerys Matthews
- “Matthew Crampton is an accomplished folk singer and live performer; if you get a chance to see his story-and-song ‘Human Cargo’ show, do not miss it.” Songlines
- “Beautiful, powerful, poignant and informative” Ilyaz Hajat, The Refugee Council
- “A compelling storyteller” 5 stars, The Guardian
- “Jeff will leave you with a deeper appreciation of the land you live in.” Caffe Lena, Saratoga, NY