‘Dr Dolittle’ (5yrs+)
DR DOLITTLE by Hugh Lofting
Dr John Dolittle of Puddleby-on-the-Marsh starts out as a human doctor. But once he is taught by his wise old parrot Polynesia how to talk to animals he becomes the most celebrated veterinary doctor in England. Word of his skills spreads and animals across the world send messages asking for his help. So he buys a leaky old ship and, together with his trusty pet-crew of Jip the dog, Chee-Chee the monkey, Dab-Dab the Duck and permanently hungry Gub-Gub the pig, sets forth on a mission to heal illness, right wrongs and gain a greater understanding of the animal kingdom. A funny, much-loved and exciting adventure, with a strong message about responsibility towards animals and the environment, this show is created by the same Illyria team who brought you an entire menagerie of animal puppets in DANNY THE CHAMPION OF THE WORLD and a life-size T-Rex in THE LOST WORLD. The show is suitable for cheeky monkeys aged 5+.
(+ Drama Workshop 6 -11yrs 3pm – 4.30pm £5)
Below are answers to Frequently Asked Questions about the whole Open-Air Theatre Season:
- Ticket holders enjoy free access to the gardens two hours before 7pm performances and one hour before earlier performances.
- All performances last approx 2 hours with a 20 mins interval
- High quality refreshments and drinks are available at most venues.
- All venues invite you to bring low back seating, blankets, and picnics if desired.
- An area for people on blankets is reserved at the front.
- Well behaved dogs are welcome at most venues.
- The following may be useful: A torch, insect repellent, an umbrella (or sunshade!)
- Performances continue regardless of the weather. Be prepared!
- Some venues have indoor alternatives in case of very bad weather (The Vicarage Garden Torrington , Blackberry Farm Milton Damerel and Manor Green Lynmouth)
- Most venues have level access, adjacent parking and toilet facilities suitable for disabled people.
- For specific access information please call the box office on 01805 624624 or the individual venue via their website.
- RHS Garden Rosemoor: Assistance dogs only. Rosemoor’s Garden Kitchen restaurant is open for afternoon teas and dinner – booking advisable: Table reservations – 01805 626821 (Cash bar from 6:30pm for music events in the Garden Room.)